Monday, July 7, 2008

Five Songs On Shuffle, Vol. 18

This is the eighteenth installments of my weekly blog entry series "5 Songs On Shuffle." I’ll put my iTunes on shuffle and blog about the first five songs that play.

"No One" - Alicia Keys No One - Single
I love this song so much, it was on my top songs list for last year. The strange synths, the piano line, the impassioned vocals all combined to create an intense pop record that sounds like nothing else on the radio.

"Super Trouper" - ABBA ABBA Gold
As you may recall, I saw Mamma Mia the other week, and was very pleased. Donna, the mother character sings this song with her two best friends and former band mates as a "reunion" of Donna & The Dynamos for the daughter bachelorette party. The song is just a fun pop song, and the super trouper referred to in the lyrics a type of lighting, not a law officer.

"We Are Broken" - Paramore Riot!
This power ballad from pop-punk grrl band Paramore is a very nice song, but almost forgettable. I enjoyed hearing it pop up on random, but don't really remember hearing it. It happens, they can't all be "Misery Business"

"Hurt" - Johnny Cash The Legend Of Johnny Cash
This is one of my favorite songs of all time, which I blogged about last December. It's so moving, almost painfully so, a man coming to terms with his mortality; and the loss of a loved one, of himself. The piano rises as the end, and it kills me. Hard to believe The Man In Black didn't even write it.

"Ur So Gay (Remix)" - Katy Perry Ur So Gay EP
In this hard techno remix of the sassy single from of-the-moment popster Katy Perry, the first three minutes consists of just the line "Ur so gay... boy" repeated over and over an obnoxious beat. You don't even get to the snark-tastic lines that make the original so fun, just the chorus. And the beat isn't the best to dance to! SKIP!

No comments: