Monday, July 14, 2008

Five Songs On Shuffle, Volume 19

This is the nineteenth installments of my weekly blog entry series "5 Songs On Shuffle." I’ll put my iTunes on shuffle and blog about the first five songs that play.

"Just Friends" - Amy Winehouse Back To Black
This ska flavored throwback track from Amy's otherwise brilliant Back to Black album is one of the weaker songs on the disc. But it's still got a good sound and the usual confessional lyrics.

"Break Anotha" - Blake Lewis Audio Day Dream
My future boyfriend and American Idol runner up Blake Lewis didn't actually want to record this song, the first single from his debut album. It doesn't fit well in with rest of the album, this track is a funky, brassy Maroon 5 rip off and the other songs are mostly airy electro-pop. Still a great white funk track.

"La Tortura" - Shakira feat Alejandro Sanz Fijacion Oral Vol 1
Just because it's not in English doesn't mean Americans ignored this hot Latin dance track. Perfect hipshaking music, even if I have no idea what the lyrics mean.

"Night Owl" - Carly Simon The Best Of Carly Simon
My theme song! OK, not really, but whenever I hear it I think back to the days when I used to stay up 'til the wee hours of the morning. Beyond that, it's kind of a silly song.

"No Pause" - Girl Talk Feed The Animals
This is actually one of my favorite tracks from the mash-up master's latest, starting with Missy Elliot's "Work It" layered over Nu Shooz "I Can't Wait" and ending with Eminiem's rap from "Shake That" over Yael Naim's gentle piano from the Mac Air ad.

No comments: