Monday, October 27, 2008

Emmy The Great Can't Remember: "Mia or M.I.A.?"

Pop Candy is one of three blogs I could never live without. Whitney Matheson is whip-smart and indie-savvy. I may pretend to be an indie-hipster from time to time, but Whit really is hip to what the cool kids are listening to, and has a love for comics and mustaches. All around the coolest chick on the web.

So I was looking at her list of favorite bands from CMJ Music Marathon, a music festival in NYC. I was intrigued by this band called Emmy The Great, since I like female artists in indie rock, and they do a cover of The Pixies' "Where Is My Mind?" which I kinda like. So I headed over to Emmy The Great's MySpace to take a listen. You should do it too! Why?

Well, the jangly country-flavored retro-pop create a dreamy bed for Emmy's vocals. It's like a little more upbeat version of Bat For Lashes, if you know who that is. The first single, "We Almost Had A Baby" is really fun, it has a lo-fi girl-group sound that gels well with my taste in retropop with a bite. My favorite song, "MIA" is about a guy who is killed in a car crash, but not after he made a compilation which includes an artist I adore. "I always liked this singer, I remember how you were the one who told me that her name was either Mia, or M.I.A." You know I can't resist a reference to my Sri Lankan girlfriend! Songs a total downer, though.

Here's the video for "We Almost Had A Baby" - the vinyl single drops on November 10th. Don't know when digital outlets will get it, but other singles are available on iTunes.

No comments: