Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Trouble With "Thunder"

I may enjoy the catchy choruses that mark the emo music the kids are into these days, but the punk-pop sound is infested with really shitty vocals. Which is why I wanted to like Boys Like Girls' third single "Thunder." It starts out with this sexy, low vocal singing "Today is a winding road/taking me places I did not want to go" over acoustic guitar before the strings and drums join in. I liked it. I still liked it. Then we hit the chorus and suddenly it's this awful whining "your voice was the soundtrack of my summer" which continues through the next verse. It could have been amazing, if the vocals had remained consistent. And when they end the bridge, the last line is a repeat of the first line and it's that low sexy voice again. Which makes it all the more jarring when Martin Johnson returns to the falsetto or "nasally is a form of singing" school of shite vocals. Sucks, but there it is.

No comments: