Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I'm Told I Should Hate The New Hilary Duff Song, But...

Hilary Duff samples Depeche Mode's classic "Personal Jesus" for her new single "Reach Out" and the interwebs are all a-flutter over the desecration of this '80s hit. Seriously? Because Marilyn Manson didn't already destroy it, before Johnny Cash redeemed it? Then those British tarts Sugababes and Jamelia sampled it for a couple of innocuous UK hits. Simmer down, Best Week Ever posters! Besides it's not even the best Depeche Mode song, that would be "Precious." (Mmhmm, I said it!)

Besides, I kinda like Hilary Duff, "Come Clean" and "So Yesterday" are both sweet, fresh-faced teen-pop that fits all the rules of ear-candy. ("Fly" is also a real feel-good pop anthem, but my cousin sang it every time we played Karaoke Revolution, so I'm a little sick of it!) While I was not impressed with her recent attempt at Kylie-esque dance pop on Dignity, but this new song is catchy and actually sexy. I've never said that about the one-time child star, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about her sexed up image in the video. It's disconcerting, like when I saw opera star Charlotte Church in full-on lingerie. This is what Miley Cyrus has to look forward to even more so, since she's already skanked it up for Vanity Fair...


The only thing that has bothered: this is off her second hits package. Seriously, the girl has like three real albums to her name, and she's got almost as many hits compilations? You can't put "Come Clean" on a loop and call it an album, girl! Anyway, watch her sex herself up to a Depeche Mode sample in the video:
Hilary Duff - Reach Out - Official Music Video Premiere


No comments: