Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!


Hello, fellow humans and English-translating humanoids! It's Earth Day, a holiday which has a lot in common with Christmas. Both days feature trees, discussions about wrappings and guilt trips. The only difference being the guilt trips are from Al Gore instead of the relatives that got the short end of the visitation stick.

But in all seriousness, I feel my inner Green Man rising forth and reminding of all the things I do right and wrong on regards to my Mama Earth. I do my bit, and here's how:

I recycle. Not just because I'd get a fine if I didn't, but because it's not really that difficult and it's a small thing. The trash collectors take cardboard, plastic, aluminum, glass and metal, that's a few extra minutes of sorting that is so worth it. Also, if you forget your re-usable bags at the grocery (like I often do) most grocery stores have plastic bag recycling bins, at least here in Central PA. Check out the supermarket near you. And if you have still-usable household items and clothes you no longer use, don't toss them in the garbage. Plenty of charities, like Salvation Army, Goodwill and local charity thrift stores will take them and turn them into cash to help fund food shelters, job placement programs and other community events. Some even pick up the items! This is a no-brainer, people. Doing good for the community and the environment? That's good karma right there.

I shop smart. Yeah, environmentally conscious products can cost more. But those energy efficient light bulbs save you money in more ways than you shell out initially. Your electric bill goes down, plus they tend to last much longer. I've been replacing my old style bulbs with the new ones as they burn out. And other times, it's not about buying something with a big ECO FRIENDLY sticker on it. Malt-O-Meal breakfast cereal use just bags, no boxes. That's a bunch of cardboard that doesn't need recycled because it never existed. And it's usually cheaper than the name brands. Also, purchase local produce. Not only is it fresher and tastier, it takes less fuel to transport and you help local farmers. Just take a second to think when you're shopping and you'll see lots of choices that are better for the planet.


I turn off the lights. Duh, it's so simple. Just turn off the TV when you're watching it, turn off the computer when you're not using it anymore, turn off the lights when you leave the room. It's so simple, yet I find a lot of people jacking up the electric bills and wasting energy out of sheer forgetfulness/laziness. Also, long showers should be saved for those days when you need that extra relaxation, if at all. Instead, get a massage, meditate or visit a park or library.

I use the web, not the post office. I have bills and statements sent to my email, and do a lot of bill-paying online. It's easier and faster, plus less paper wasted on envelopes and bills. I try not to buy magazines that have the same content I can find online, although photo spreads in Vanity Fair do look better in real life, not online.

But alas, I am not the king of all things Green. Here are the things I need help convincing myself to do:

I don't carpool. I just don't know anyone well enough that follows the same schedule and commutes the same path. If you do, I highly recommend it. Or take the bus/subway/train if the schedule fits your job (it doesn't here in the 'burg.)

I don't buy MP3 albums. I know they are often cheaper, don't waste any paper or plastic and I get the music instantly. I just have a strong attachment to the feeling of holding a CD booklet, looking at the cover art, liner photos, lyrics and reading all the fine print with producers, songwriters and session musicians. iTunes doesn't always include the composer information and never has the rest of that info. I can count on one hand the number of full albums I've downloaded, and most of them end up burned onto CD to play in the car anyway.

I rarely send e-cards. I know they are usually free, and can have music and movement. And no postage required! My problem is, I like the feeling of writing actual notes inside cards or even letters on stationary, and creating a personal item that someone can save. Or not, I don't really care. But I don't know if I can give that up. I do try to find recycled papers and cards to use.

So, what do you do help Mother Earth? Any tips I should be trying? Leave 'em in the comments!

No comments: