Wednesday, April 8, 2009

American Idol Recap: As Years Go By...

This week the Idols sang song released in the year they were born. Because nothing says fresh and modern like songs as old as the artist singing them. Anyway, let's take a look at the almost all 80s babies singing some old school stuff.

Danny Gokey went back to 1980 for a really bad arrangement of "Stand By Me." It was boring in the beginning and shouty at the end. The pre-song package made him come off as douchier than usual, which is quite an accomplishment! The Good Christian Widower should be in trouble, but since the judges gave him a tongue bath of praise, he's so safe.

Truthiness alert: my mind wandered so much during Kris's "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" that I didn't write any notes. Re-watching it, it still left no impression. He's cute, but the original version is so obnoxious and he did nothing to improve it. A bad week for an other wise good performer.

Oh, Lil! You can sing, but that's not enough. Tina Turner has so many imitators (Beyonce springs to mind,) and you came off as the lowest of them. Plus the vocals were very shouty, and "What's Love Got To Do With It" needs more sass, less scratch... iness. Sorry, rhyming is not my gift. Girlfriend is in danger, Idol fans love a diva but she is not living up to the standards set by Fantasia or Syesha.

I see Anoop's "True Colors" and that's why I am ambivalent about him. He explained his disgusted reaction after last weeks god-awful song and Kara's very accurate observations about it. But he did not apologize, which was either an oops or a diss. Anyway, I loved his ballads before, but this time he was boring. Cyndi sold that song with emotion and her unique voice, Anoop doesn't have that connection that is required for this song.

Scott finally picked a more upbeat song than usual, the Survivor power ballad "The Search Is Over." He also stepped outside the box playing an electric guitar. But his vocals suffered, it was a little screechy. I enjoyed his "punk" side, but his singing was pretty punk, too.

Here is the reason I love Allison: she can take a beautiful, slow, moving song like "I Can't Make You Love Me" and keep it beautiful with making it boring. She has such a studio-ready voice, the subtle inflection of smoke is beautiful. She may be my favorite, but I'm not sure she can win.

Poor Matt Giraurd! His comments got cut short because the show was running long. It's OK, because his Stevie Wonder cover was sexy smoothness and I am here to tell him all about it. He has that pretty white boy soul thing down pat, and if being my "Part Time Lover" is all he can offer, I will take it! My baby sis says he should not have worn the hat, but I told her it's just one more thing he can take off for a seductive strip tease. Oops, did I say that out loud?

Adam got a standing ovation from Simon, which was perfect since he did his entire performance sitting down. Everything about "Mad World" was stunning, the lighting, his stage presence that didn't require movement and his beautiful falsetto made a dramatic statement proving his artist swagger is more than merited. I kinda love the Scary Homosexual Rocker...

The bottom three should be Scott, Anoop and Lil. It will probably be Alison, though, not Anoop. Going home: Scott.

No comments: