Monday, April 20, 2009

Recluctantly Enjoyed: Carolina Liar - "Show Me What I'm Looking For"

Occasionally I rush to judgement on a song. Either I dislike the artist, so I don't give it chance; or at first glance it's doesn't seem like my kind of song. Sometimes, I judge too harshly and end up regretting it. Here is another song I Reluctantly Enjoyed.

At first blush, Carolina Liar's lead singer Chad Wolf looks like a southern rocker with a singer-songwriter bent. I hate southern rock, and most singer-songwriters tend to be a bit pretentious. I hated him already. Upon listening to the band's glossy emo-pop sound, you may think he's South Carolina's new Pete Wentz. Which is kinda cool, but the back story is even more glossy. Britney Spears' producer Max Martin produced the debut album, Coming To Terms and most of the band was created out of Swedish session musicians. It's all so pre-fabricated, which works for thin-voiced pop tarts but rock singers need a little more authenticity. I was planning on hating the lead single, "Show Me What I'm Looking For" because of that perception.

I was wrong. "Show Me What I'm Looking For" takes the best bits from Coldplay's grandiose symphonic rock and Phil Spector's wall of sound, throws on a gospel choir and churns out a pop-rock single that thrills me. I couldn't believe it, I was loving a rock song produced by the same man who gave us "...Baby One More Time." Listen, and reluctantly enjoy with me...

No comments: