Saturday, April 4, 2009

American Idol Recap: Pick A Theme, Any Theme...

This week the Idols had to choose from "Top iTunes Downloads" meaning pretty much every song ever, excepting the Beatles. Because they are too important/greedy to have songs available for download. Anyway...

Anoop Desai decides to try something fresh and modern, like an old Usher song that wasn't much of a hit. "Caught Up" requires some frsh dance moves and killer runs to work, this was karaoke of the worst kind. Ick.

Megan Joy tries to lull us into a sense of contented highs with some Marley, mon. It's a song that she could try to kill, with that meandering vocals of hers. But instead she just lulls us to sleep.

Danny Gokey is better on mute. I discovered this by accident when I got a phone call from my Gay Best Friend and muted the sound whilst we chatted. He's really hot, but so much hotter when he isn't shout/singing at me.

AHHHH! I love Alison Iraheta, and she nailed No Doubt's "Don't Speak." Yes, that dress was fug as sin, but her showmanship and killer smoked-up pipes made up for it one-hundred fold.

Scott McIntyre attempts to cinch the deal on his Adult Contemporary kingship. His Billy Joel cover was his best so far, but still incredibly boring. As usual...

I thought Matt Giraurd started rough, but his version of "You Found Me" got better as it went on. I like him with a rock song, even if everybody else hated it.

Lil Rounds needs a song choice coach! She picked a diva song, but totally the wrong diva song. "I Surrender" is one of the most boring and old fashoined of the Celine Dion catalog. She sang her ass off, but she needs to pick a song that is worthy of her pipes.

I still cannot decide how Adam Lambert made "Play That Funky Music" almost work. His voice is rediculous, as always, but that song choice was really dumb. But still, it was fun and enjoyable.

Kris Allen turns out the best performance of the night with an understated vocal turn on "Ain't No Sunshine." It was seriously hot, he came out of no where to become a frontrunner. And this is the second instrument he's played, proving he is a artist to be reckoned with.

Megan went home, deservedly. Alison should not have been anywher near the bottom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, Paul, I think it's time for you to call it. Who's gonna win? Because I have no time to watch. And if you get it right, you'll look super smart and sixth sensey!

C. Paul Keller said...

I actually called last year's winner, so I may be an American Idol idiot savant.

My dream final four would be Adam, Matt, Alison and Kris. The more likely final four is Danny, Adam, Kris and either Lil or Alison.

The winner should be Adam, and I'm going out on a limb and say he will actually win. It's coming down to Gokey vs Lambert, Good Christian Widower vs Scary Homosexual Rocker. I know this much is true...

Anonymous said...

Good Christian Widower vs Scary Homosexual Rocker! I may have to watch the finale!