Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Idol Recap: Jamie Foxx Leads The Rat Pack?

Can I just say this one thing? WHY THE HELL IS JAMIE FOXX THE MENTOR FOR RAT PACK WEEK? He's a nice dude and everything, but his hits include an autotuned ode to drunk sex and doing the hook on a song called "Gold Digger." Never mind, he's perfect for Rat Pack night...

Kris Allen sang "The Way You Look Tonight" and can we talk about the way he looks tonight? He looks delish, and he sounds like a dream. He has a great voice, and didn't do anything new with the melody. Which is precisely what he should have done because these songs need sung well to be effective, not changed up.

I was worried about Allison, and I have no idea why. She picked "Someone To Watch Over Me" and it was the perfect song for her smoky jazz voice. She sounded like a little girl with a story, and you really wanted to watch over her. Classy, sweet but not really sentimental - everything Allison needed to be tonight.

Matt tried so hard to not go crazy and let the runs take over; but he can't control himself, can he? It was good, but "My Funny Valentine" has become so played out on this stage and he didn't bring anything fresh to it. I don't think he has what it takes to keep going.

Do I have to talk about Danny Gokey? Really? If you insist... I totally disagree with the judges, he does not have the voice for this kind of song. "Come Rain Or Come Shine" should be happy, breezy and fun and Danny injected it with to much growl and unnecessary attitude. I could just be projecting because I hate him so much, but he really sounded wrong for the song. Yeah he has swagger, but so does M.I.A. and I'm pretty sure nobody wants her singing "I Rather Be Lonely Than Happy With Somebody Else"

I couldn't even think or write any notes during Adam's performance of "Feeling Good." He always bring such magnetic energy to the stage. How anyone could look away from the sight of him strutting down those steps in a shiny white suit crooning the most dramatic American standard, I can't even imagine. He always entertains and bring a believability that theatrical performances can sometimes be missing.

So, I really feel that Matt should be going home tonight. But Allison may be in trouble, too. She was brilliant, but the voting public seems to be against her. We'll see...

No comments: