Monday, April 13, 2009

My Top Twenty: "Paint It, Black" - The Rolling Stones

Song: "Paint It, Black"
Artist: The Rolling Stones
Album: Aftermath
Year: 1966
Highest Billboard Hot 100 Chart Position: #1
Players: Mick Jagger -vocals, credited songwriter; Brian Jones - sitar, acoustic guitar; Keith Richards - background vocals, electric guitar, credited songwriter; Bill Wyman - bass, electric organ; Charlie Watts - drums; Jack Nitzsche - piano; Andrew Loog Oldham - producer

I could write scads about this middle-eastern flavored classic Rolling Stones single. From the moment Brian Jones launches into a sitar (one of the most recognizable intros in rock music) through the dark, menacing lyrics and driving drums, the Stones have never been harder, cooler or more enticing. I've never been a huge fan of the British band, but between this song, "Gimme Shelter" and "Start Me Up" I have to give them props.

But that's not why this song is one of my Top Twenty Favorite Songs Of All Time. I have a little story about this song. Wanna hear it?

It was about a year ago at Strawberry's on a Karaoke Thursday. I was there with the guy who had dumped me a few weeks prior. We tried to stay friends, so this was the second time I had grabbed the mic with him post-breakup. After a lackluster attempt at Kanye earlier in the night, I was debating what song to try next. He had told me that I wasn't a rock fan, which annoyed me because I pride myself on loving all music. I was in a combative mood, so I picked "Paint It, Black" and worked that motherfucker out. It felt so good to just let loose with a rock strut and, while I'm no Mick Jagger, I think I did a kick-ass job.

Since then, I've taken to doing "Gimme Shelter" on Rock Band every time my gang of friends gather. But if they had "Paint It, Black" I would revisit that moment of attitude-drenched glory. And the next time I go out for drinks and amateur tunes, I may just do it again.



And this conclude my series of Top Tweny Songs Of All Time. Watch for a new series, The Essentials, to start later this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like your blog;)

have a nice day:)

kiss