Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Dead Man's Bones: That Hot Actor From The Notebook Can Sing?

OK, I love me some Notebook (not as much as A Walk To Remember, but close) and a lot of that has to do with the chemistry between two of the hottest young actors burning up the screen. Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams are smoldering in every scene and I loves it.

But who knew Ryan was interested in music? Not me, until this very morning. I know what you're thinking, it's probably awful stuff, this band of Ryan and Zach Shields. But Dead Man's Bones is no Dogstar or Anywhere I Lay My Head. The first sounds coming from the duo is an eerie mix of 60's girl group drums and children's choirs with Ryan's pleasing baritone providing an excellent centerpiece. He has a vocal sound not unlike a lo-fi Johnny Cash with a bit of punk wallop, which is high praise coming from me.

The video for "In The Room Where You Sleep" is much more Bat For Lashes than J-to-tha-LO. It's a high quality live recording from the wrap party for their first disc on Werewolf Heart Records, no release date is available as far as I can find. (I would imagine somewhere around their SXSW showcase in late March.) The Halloween-costumed children's choir is very twee, and their is no rock star antics from a vest-clad Ryan, he remains seated at the piano for the full video. The kids provide much of the visual entertainment, one girl on the right hand side of the front row really gets into, just rocking out. And the tiniest little boy mugs for the camera when he gets his closeup, before being reminded he's supposed to hit the final symbals with his sword. It's cute, in a creepy kind of way and the visual works well with the song. I'm quite anxious to hear more from Ryan and Zach... Watch:

No comments: