Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Here It Is Kids! Full Version of Kelly Clarkson's "My Life Would Suck Without You"

I am in full on gay panic at the moment. If it hadn't been for reader and fellow blogger Junior posting a comment on one of my earlier Kelly posts I may have not heard Miss Independent's new single until tomorrow or even Thursday. That just won't do! Thanks bunches, Junior!

So, here it is: the pop event of Winter 2009. Kelly Clarkson doing her hometown diva thang. Max Martin and Dr. Luke twiddling the production knobs and writing the hooks that get us all singing. Yes, gays and gals it's "My Life Would Suck Without You" the first single from the OG American Idol's fourth disc, the first since the critically favored yet poor selling My December.

"My Life Would Suck Without You" is everything I feared and hoped it would be. It's basically "Since U Been Gone" with different lyrics. But if you listen to a lot of the Max/Luke written and produced singles, like Pink's "U & Ur Hand" The Veronica's "4Ever" and Paris Hilton's "Nothing In This World" you would have "Since U Been Gone" with different lyrics. They have developed a strong hook that they will not let go of, because it works.

And if nothing else, "My Life Would Suck Without You" works as pop single. It should give Kelly the radio play she deserves because Kelly has the best voice of any female pop star on the radio right now. That's what puts her ahead of the Katy Perrys and the Rihannas that are burning up the charts, and what makes me love "My Life Would Suck Without You." It's a solid, A+ pop single with a solid A+ vocal.

And honestly Kelly, my life would suck without you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's so funny is the first thing I thought when I saw that the whole song was available was "What does Paul think!? He will tell me how to feel!"

I agree with you that Max Martin & Co. has that low verse/big chorus sound for all his songs so I'll stop saying it sounds just like "Since..." but that guitar at the beginning does sound so much like something I've heard before...

The vocal is great as usual tho. Last observation: this is gonna make a fantastic Dance Dance Revolution song! It's so bouncy!

C. Paul Keller said...

Oh Junior, I am always happy to provide the Kelly Clarkson Analysis you need. I obsess, so others don't have to.

And that opening riff is basically a lo-fi version of the "Since U Been Gone" opening riff, without the big drums. Besides the song structure, that's a big connection between the songs.