Monday, January 12, 2009

Have You Tried The New AXE Hair?

I don't know if you've seen the new ads for the new AXE Hair line of hair products for men. Now, I've been using AXE deodorant, body wash and occasionally the body spray (only when I can't get to my DKNY Be Delicious cologne, of course...) for a while now. But this is a new line of hair products that just came out last month. Here's the ad:


What kind of stuck up bitches did they hire for this commercial? I would do any one of them, the one with the black hair looked really tasty. I actually liked his hair!

Besides liking AXE's other products, I also have a bit of an obsession with hair products. So when I needed new body wash and saw the new AXE Gift Pack was on clearance at the Target, I knew I had to try it. The pack comes with the "Shower Tool" (basically a bath poof with a black hand grip) a bottle of the new AXE shampoo Primed: Just Clean as well as a bottle of my favorite AXE body wash Snake Peel, two travel bottles of body wash and a trial packet of three new hair products.

The instructions are just like any other hair product: take a fingertipful and rub it between your hands and spread through damp hair. It's supposed to give you "the hold without the hard." Because "girls don't like that crusty, crunchy hair you get from gels." Gays, neither. I like the spiky looks, but I hate trying to run your fingers through a tangle of rock hard locks. The only rock hard thing I want to feel is... um, never mind.

First I tried AXE Whatever. It's for "a messy look" according to the package. I applied it right after a shower. The product was a very stiff opaque waxy paste with a bluish tint. It remained hard and sticky even after several moments of rubbing so I assumed that is the consistency of the product. Well, I put it my hair and would not spread. It left white streaks in my hair, and I was forced to wet down my hands and re-dampen the product until it was no longer be visible. It had nice hold with some flexibility, but application was a nightmare. I would not recommend.

The next morning I tried AXE Refined. It was a gel-like pomade, totally transparent with a glittery sheen. It was stiff at first but applied very easy. Unfortunately it has a strong pomade smell. The smell stayed with me all day. Great hold but I wouldn't recommend it with that smell.
For the last day of my trial, I use AXE Charged, for spiking purposes. It's a putty, very stiff and waxy. A little bit easier than the Whatever to apply but still very stiff. It spiked really nicely but I'm not sure I would recommend it, it's really stiff like a hair cement or gel. Which you can get for cheaper from LA Looks or Got2B.

I must say, after the great smells of AXE's other products I was disappointed. The scents and holds of the hair product line left a bad taste in my hair. The Primed shampoo smells good, I've not a had a chance to try it yet. But if you're looking for hold without stiffness but with a great smell, try Garnier Fructis Style's Surf Hair Texture Paste. It's still the best product I've used, and I've used a lot of them.

No comments: