Thursday, April 10, 2008

American Idol Recap - Inspirational Week

This week the Idols were doing songs of inspiration in honor of Idol Gives Back. Did they inspire hope, peace and love, or inspire me to throw things at the screen? Let's see.

Michael Johns wants to be a rock star so bad. It's obvious, he always tries to do these classic rock numbers, and they just don't work for him. "Dream On" is not an easy song to do, see Jordis Unga on "Rock Star: INXS" for proof. And it requires a voice with the power, range and a quality that that only Steven Tyler has. It wasn't terrible, but we are back to karaoke superstar status again.

Yeah, let's do the horrible coronation song from four seasons ago, Syesha Mercado. That's the stuff. First off, the song is features way too many sucktacular cliches and Fantasia almost made them work. Syesha didn't, plus she got shouty in places and the choir drown her out in places. Not a good combo. I think she's gone this week.

I don't recall what commercial this version of "Over The Rainbow" was in, I think it was either for cereal or insurance. But Jason Castro did his thing that he does best, sells a song based on just being himself. He's always Jason, and while I doubt that'll win him American Idol, it's nice to see. Plus, he had the emotional connection.

I don't think Kristy Lee Cook sang "Anyway" near as good as Martina McBride, but she was good. How does this keep happening? As most of the rest of them get worse or more boring, KLC gets better. She's not great, and I don't think she will win, but I think she will be this year's Pickler, not this years Sanjaya.

I still love you David Cook and I will still have your babies, but dude, that was not good. It was OK, it didn't suck out loud, but it was seriously not up to par with anything you've done so far. He still has some hot jackets, and he still has that rock star swagger, and I still want to throw him on a bed and molest him, but this week? Not as much love. And I was one of the three people in the world who liked the "Give Back" on his hand. I thought it was cute.

I know everybody else hated it, but I loved Carly Smithson's version of "The Show Must Go On" by Queen. It was dramatic, moody and dark, it didn't fit with the idea of inspirational songs, but I thought it rocked. She looked amazing, and while it wasn't her best performance, I loved it. And yes, it was angry, but that doesn't make it bad.

D. Arch. Whatever, you'll still win this thing. I'm so bored by his little boy blue act, all ballads and sweetness and :retch: Whatever, dude. I really don't even care. He could sing "Froggy Went A Courtin'" and still get votes. I just wish he would do something that interesting.

It was the song we all knew she would sing. Brooke White completes her Carly Simon/Carole King transformation with a mesmerizing performance of "You've Got A Friend" and once again blows me away with her emotionality. She feels so much, that's what I love about her. And she's always Brooke, like Jason, she knows who she is as an artist and whether you like it or not you have to respect that.

Bottom three: Michael Johns, Syesha Mercado and Carly Smithson. Carly doesn't deserve to be there, but America won't like it as much as I do.

No comments: