Wednesday, April 23, 2008

American Idol Recap: Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber Week

Going in I knew this wasn't going to be the best week ever. Broadway showtunes aren't an area our Idols will be most comfortable in. But I was hoping for some surprises, which I did get.

Syesha Mercado finally found her niche it seems. I've never heard "One Rock & Roll Too Many" before, I've never even heard of Starlight Express, the musical it comes from. But it seems our Syesha is a Broadway diva in training, this is her element! And she does love to perform with a piano, doesn't she? Sexy, fun, cool, this is apparently the Syesha we were waiting for. But is it too late? I think she may still be in the bottom three, but she may have made it another week longer.

Jason Castro doesn't know a song from Cats would have been sung by a cat? Dude, put down the bong and pay attention! Every song from Cats was sung by a cat! And "Memories" is such an interesting song, he could have pulled it off with his Jack Johnson vibe, but instead he just sang it with the full band and string. It was overly breathy, not in time and just bad. His worst since "Michelle" and enough to put him back in the bottom three.

Poor Brooke White! She just doesn't seem to have the will to go any further. Her choice was uninspired, the emotional connection she usually has is gone. It just didn't feel natural. One of her worst. I actually hope she leaves tonight just because she seems so broken, I want her to get some rest before the tour.

Lil' David "Archie" Archuleta is finally sounding like a teen pop star! He took another song I don't know and teen-popped it up. Not great, a little forgettable like Simon said, but enough to keep the tween girls happy and voting.

Carly Smithson was the most fun I've seen her so far! "Jesus Christ Superstar" was a perfect choice, even if she forgot a bunch of words. It was the most rock 'n' roll we've seen her, and it suits her. She will escape the bottom this week, I think. And the "Simon Likes Me (this week)" tee was off the chain.

My future boyfriend David Cook was spot on vocally doing "Music Of The Night" from Phantom Of The Opera. It wasn't his best performance, but one of his best vocals. It proved he can sing, not just rock. Plus it was really beautiful. Still the clear winner!

Hitting the bottom three? Syesha, Jason and Brooke, although D. Arch and Carly may be a surprise bottom dweller. Which of course means that if I'm wrong, David Cook will be going home and I will cry. Unless he's coming home to me... Brooke needs to go, for her own sanity.

No comments: