Wednesday, April 30, 2008

American Idol Recap - Neil Diamond Week

Hello, Idol worshippers! This week our top five sang two Neil Diamond songs. Yay. I'm not a fan of Neil Diamond, although we always do a rousing round of "Sweet Caroline" to close our kareoke parties. It was an interesting week, and it's not just Paula's confusion over whether Jason sang twice already that made it so.

Speaking of his dread lord, Jason Castro is pretty much over it. Both of his performances were lackluster, no passion, no originality and none of the vocal grit that Neil Diamond brings to his songs. He gets an extra point for wearing blue jeans while singing "Forever In Blue Jeans" but that's about it. He should go home tonight, but he still has a fan base. I just hope they were lulled into sleep by the boringness.

David Cook choose two songs I've never heard before. "I'm Alive" sounded vaguely familiar, but it was only about three seconds long, so I couldn't be sure. It was pure DC, though, rocking and melodic. "All I Really Need Is You" sounded like a lost Three Doors Down track or something, really fresh and modern rock. I say it every week, and I'll say it again: it's his Idol to lose.

I'm not even going to comment on Brooke White's godawful karaoke version of "I'm A Believer" and go straight to "I Am, I Said" which was off the fuckin' chain! Brooke was back in her element, the vocals may not have been amazing, but her warmth and connection to the song was evident. It would make a perfect swan song, but I think she may be safe this week.

OK, I am officially in hate with David Archuleta. I hate his overly earnest child star mugging, his squinty eyes, his screaming fangirls, his stupid laugh. "Sweet Caroline" does not need seventy five runs, and if anyone could have made it work, it was a not a skinny white kid. And "America" is a terrible song, one of Neil Diamond's most obnoxious. He should leave this week, but God knows the world needs a new Jonas Brother for me to hate.

Syesha Mercado is the new Vonzell! Who, you ask? Vonzell was a very talented singer who came in third in the season of Underwood vs Bice. While she came into her own kind of late, but managed to pull out some hot shit towards the end, like "On The Radio" which I still love. Nobody remembers her, but she was good. This season, Syesha had her hottest performance last week, and then upped her game with a sweet, only slightly bland, performance of "Hello, Again" before just ending the show with a bang-up, gospel-tinged performance of "Thank The Lord For The Nighttime"

I think Jason and his bong will be reunited at last this week, when he goes home. Syesha will join him in the bottom two, just because she lives there. If we are back to bottom threes, it'll be Brooke crying her way across the stage. The Davids will be safe... as usual.

No comments: