Wednesday, April 2, 2008

What About Love?

It's a question musicians, writers, artists and regular joes have struggled with since the dawn of time. What is love, how do you find it, when is real? Here are a few of my favorite quotes on the subject:

"No, this is how it works, you peer inside yourself. You take the things you like, and try to love the things you took. And then you take that love you made and stick it into some, someone else's heart pumping someone else's blood. And walking arm in arm you hope it don't get harmed but even if it does you'll just do it all again." - Regina Spektor "On The Radio"

"When love comes so strong, There is no right or wrong, Your love is your life." - Stephen Sondheim "West Side Story"

"Whenever I'm alone with you, you make me feel like I am free again. Whenever I'm alone with you, you make me feel like I am clean again. However far away, I will always love you." - The Cure "Love Song"

"There's a club if you'd like to go, you could meet somebody who really loves you. So you go, and you stand on your own and you leave on your own and you go home, and you cry and you want to die. When you say it's gonna happen 'now' well, when exactly do you mean? See I've already waited too long and all my hope is gone. You shut your mouth how can you say I go about things the wrong way. I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does." - The Smiths "How Soon Is Now"

"You don't know what love is, you just do as you're told." - The White Stripes (song title)

"But I need love. It is patience, it is kindness. I need love. It is rain after the dryness. I need love. Sister Wisdom, help me see it's the one thing that I need. The only thing that I need." - Sixpence None The Richer "Love"

"Oh, what's love got to do, got to do with it? What's love but a second hand emotion? What's love got to do, got to do with it? Who needs a heart, when a heart can be broken?" - Tina Turner "What's Love Got To Do With It"

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." - The Apostle Paul, 1st Corinthians 13:4-8a (NIV translation)

Love sucks, love hurts, love heals, love is pain, love the most important thing. Love makes you crazy, makes you remember, makes you cry. Love may be a many-splendoured thing, but mostly it's just the most elusive and magical feeling.

No comments: