Monday, April 14, 2008

Five Songs On Shuffle Vol 6

Here is the sixth installment of my weekly blog entry series "5 Songs On Shuffle." I’ll put my iTunes on shuffle and blog about the first five songs that play.

"Weapon of Choice" - Fatboy Slim Fired Up 2
I do love some Fatboy, and this song is no exception. Techno that sounds like it's played with real instruments, with a heavily distorted vocal that you can barely understand before launching into a nonsense chorus of "you can go with this/or you can go with that/or you can go with us" repeated makes it kind of fun to dance to. Like Christopher Walken did in the memorable video.



"100 Years" - Five For Fighting I Hurt Myself Today (Walmart Mixtape)
Yeah, I'm a sap. I love this song, I love the message of "live for today." But to keep this from getting too sugary, it's time to drop one of my pet peeves into the mix. I hate when "bands" are actually just one person. Stage names are fine, but when that name is makes it sound like a five-piece band it irks me. I know it's totally irrational, but there you go. See also: A Fine Frenzy, Nine Inch Nails.

"That's That Whirlwind - Snoop Dogg feat. R Kelly vs Archetecture in Helsinki" - The Hood Internet Mixtape Volume One
How many Hood Internet mashups are on my iPod anyway? This is not one of my favorites, but it does have a goofy charm.

"Should Have Known" - Robyn Robyn
One of the few tracks on Robyn's amazing self-titled album (that will finally see the light of day in the US this month) that I don't love with the passion of a thousand suns. It's a pretty good pop/R&B hybrid, but after the disco brilliance of "Every Heartbeat" the hip-hop kiss-offs of "Konichiwa Bitches" and "Handle Me" and quiet heartbreak of "Eclipse" it was bound to pale.

"Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)" - Mika Life In Cartoon Motion
This is the song that made every critic say "Oh Mika's just like Freddie Mercury!" I do like it, it's a poppy hug around the ladies who aren't afraid to lunch. Fun!

No comments: