Monday, April 7, 2008

Reluctantly Enjoyed: "Realize" and "See You Again"

Sometimes I make a mistake. Not often, but sometimes I prejudge something, only to be proven wrong. There are two songs that I've done that with, and I am here to admit it. These are the songs I Reluctantly Enjoy.

First off is Colbie Caillat's second single off Coco, "Realize." I hated "Bubbly" so very much, it blinded me to the heart wrenching tale of newly realized love that may not be reciprocated. It sounds so much more personal and real than "Bubbly" but I was ignoring it, to my own detriment. "If you realize what I just realized, that we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never find another... We'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other" is a line that I wish I'd written, which is something I've never said about anything in "Bubbly." We've all felt that sting of love both secret and unrequited, and I love a good song to wallow in that grief with.

Next is a song I blasted pretty harshly in one of my single rundowns a few months ago. It's in digital print that I thought "See You Again" by Miley Cyrus sucked. It's turns out that it's not all horrible, just the lyrics are really bad, and feel awful for saying that since she is just 15 and co-wrote the song. But I call a spade a spade, it's who I am. The beat is hot, though. The surf guitars and club friendly vibe is awesome, I just wish Miley's vocals had something there. They have no oomph. With all that said, I kind of love the song now. It took some time to get hot for me, but I turn it up in the car all the time now.

No comments: