Monday, April 7, 2008

Five Songs On Shuffle Vol. 5

Here is the fifth installment of my weekly blog entry series "5 Songs On Shuffle." I’ll put my iTunes on shuffle and blog about the first five songs that play.

"Girls Just Wanna Fixx Up - Dizzee Rascals vs Cyndi Lauper" - The Hood Internet The Hood Internet Mix Tape Volume One
My absolute favorite mashup of all time, the sub-Caribbean beat of Lauper's grrrl-power anthem is the perfect foil to the barely intelligible rhymes of England's craziest rapper. Hottest shit evs.

"Hand In My Pocket" - Alanis Morissette Jagged Little Pill Acoustic
It took me a second to realize that this was the acoustic version of this song, the original was pretty low key, too. I bought this CD for my sister Rachel as a Christmas gift. She had heard it on Rhapsody's Listening Party, and fell in love with it. She didn't buy it at the time, and I finally tracked a copy down at Best Buy last year. I thought I was finding the perfect gift, turns out she bought me an iPod, which really is the perfect gift for me. It was a good Christmas.

"Dance, Dance" - Fall Out Boy From Under The Cork Tree
I love the lines "Why don't you show me a little bit of spark you've been saving for his mattress, love?" and "I only want sympathy in the form of you crawling into bed with me." Those who blast emos for poor writing skills should step off. The bass on this is insane, too.

"La Isla Bonita" - Madonna The Immaculate Collection
I really don't like this song. I love Madonna, but this one has terrible lyrics, a really dated Latin guitar and a Muzak quality to it. Like it should only be played at tanning salons and tiki bars.

"Satellite [Acoustic]" - Mika Life In Cartoon Motion [Best Buy Exclusive Tracks]
This is a cover of Dave Matthews Band's "Satellite." I have never heard DMB's original, so I don't know if it's a good cover or not, I do like this version. It was an exclusive track for the Best Buy version of Mika's stellar debut album. It's poppy, but simple. Much better than the other bonus track, an acoustic take on his single "Love Today" which suffers from too much bombast. The original had plenty of it, too, but in the acoustic setting it sounds like an audition tape for a Broadway musical.

No comments: