Monday, April 21, 2008

Five Songs On Shuffle Vol. 7

Here is the seventh installment of my weekly blog entry series "5 Songs On Shuffle." I’ll put my iTunes on shuffle and blog about the first five songs that play.

"Believe" - Cher Believe
OK, let break it down. Gay men love Cher, it's just a fact of life. I don't love every Cher song, but who can resist dancing to this club track? Funny story behind how I got this CD. My sister Rachel babysat for my cousin's son when this CD came out. My cousin had gotten this CD and didn't like it I guess, since she gave it to Rachel as a bonus. Rachel must've played it way too much while at my cousin's house, cause one day I was playing it and my cousin came running out and just very angrily turned it off, she had heard it way too much. I think I then stole it from Rachel, but she's really not a Cher kind of person she may have just given it to me.

"I'm Into Something Good" - Earl-Jean One Kiss Can Lead To Another: Girl Groups Lost & Found [Disc Two]
This boxed set of rare singles, minor hits and flops alike, from the hey-day of girl group fever is awesome. For a pop fan, these are the cream of the crop, songs that are hooky, full of harmonies and sing-along choruses, but not overplayed. Plus, it features rare tracks by stars like Dolly Parton, Cher, Twiggy, The Supremes, The Ronnettes and complete unknowns alike. And the packaging is delicious, it's a black and white hatbox, with each CD in a case that looks like a makeup compact and an almost 200 page liner note book designed like a vintage diary. This is the original version of the Herman's Hermits hit, sung by the lead singer of the Cookies. Just bouncy pop fun, like I love.

"Getting Into You" - Relient K Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do
I always describe Relient K as a "the Ohio snark-punk-poppers," but this is not a snarky song. It's a sweet description of love between God and man, and man for his fellow man. Relient K is the only band to have three full albums on my iPod at all times. Definitely my favorite emo band.
"Know My Name" Blake Lewis feat. Lupe Fiasco Audio Day Dream
Supposedly written about Natalie Portman, this tale of celeb crushes is one of the many stand outs on American Idol runner up Blake Lewis's debut album. And while I still am miffed over his possibly homophobic comment in Blender, this album is a hot electropop collection. And after his interview over at Electroqueer, I'm thinking I may have misjudged Blake. Of course, his hotness may just be clouding my judgement, I'd love a slice of his moist delicious Cake. (AI shippers know what I'm talkin' 'bout!)

"Filthy/Gorgeous" - Scissor Sisters Scissor Sisters
My iPod is a British gay club kid, it is official. I've only done seven of these Five Songs On Shuffle blogs, and this is the third track to pop up from the Scissor Sisters' debut album. This is tied with "Tits On the Radio" for my favorite track, I do love some really dirty pop music. Electronica with a bouncy vibe, and the lyrics are, well, filthy and gorgeous.

No comments: