Sunday, April 13, 2008

New Spring Fashions Have Arrived!

Yesterday was such a beautiful day, I was inspired to get some new duds for summer. I'm not much of a shorts person, I have exactly one pair I love. I own some boring denim ones, but I don't usually like wearing them. The one pair I've had for two summers now, they are still pretty cool looking. They are slate-blue corduroy with cargo pockets. I'm not much for cargo pockets either, but I do like these. Here is a picture from last summer with me wearing them:

I don't always follow trends. A lot of trends are for skinny people, and I am not one of those. One trend I didn't like last summer was the plaid shorts. I thought they were old-mannish and reminded me of golf pants. I decided this year I'd have to give in and at least try them on. I hit my favorite stores for clothes, Marshall's and Ross's, and tried some thangs on! Here's how it went down:
After work last night I grabbed my littlest hag, my cousin Sarah. She's only ten and not the savviest at things like color matching, but I hate shopping without someone to bounce ideas off. So we went to Ross's first. I tried on three shorts, a pair of black wide pin striped shorts, a robin's egg blue pair with a brown grid in a synthetic fabric and a pair of blue and black hounds tooth Red Snap rockabilly shorts. The synthetic ones were really billowy and wide legged, plus I really disliked the fabric. I thought they were swim trunks when I first saw them, but the don't have the liner. I really did not like them at all, plus they were a little big. I love pinstripes, so I really wanted to like that pair. But they were really tight, and gave me camel toe. I didn't get them either. I was starting to think short shopping was a bust, but then I tried on the Red Snap pair. I fell in love! They kinda make my ass look a little big, but Dana says I have a nice butt so I thought I should show it off a little. They have a little skull and cross bones printed above the right back pocket. I'm really into skulls right now, so I was hooked. I also tried a navy polo with a few multi-width orange stripes across the chest. It was too small, and not cool enough to be worth buying in hopes of a further slim down. So I bought one pair of shorts, which I model below with a chocolate polo I bought last fall and my plaid hat:

After that we crossed the parking lot to Marshall's. I hadn't even considered any of the couple plaid shorts we'd seen at Ross's, and I had remembered seeing some I actually liked in Marshall's a few weeks ago, so I was hoping for the best there. I went to the shoe department first, but didn't really see anything I loved. Which is good, because I really don't need any new shoes. So we went over to the men's clothes racks, and I started going through the shorts. I saw some DKNY plaid shorts, and I really wanted to try them on, since DKNY is my brand of choice. but they were $25 and really dark for summer. I skipped them. I pulled a couple of plaids of the rack and didn't really like any of them. Then I saw the green plaid Izod's and thought they were OK. I wasn't really sold on them, yet. I still am resistant to the whole plaid thing. But I carried them around and hit the shirt racks. I saw a salmon colored Izod polo and held it up with the shorts. Sarah was all about it right away. I still wasn't sold, and I knew Sarah wasn't always the best at matching colors. At Ross's she had suggested a a shirt in a paler shade of robin's egg blue to match the robin's egg blue shorts, so she doesn't always grasp matching. But she tries!
So I tried them on. And I stood in the three way mirror and thought "What a preppy bitch I am!" and knew I had to have it. I didn't know about the salmon with my red hair, but I had to do it! I asked Aunt Tina when I got home, and she confirmed it looked OK with my red hair. So here it is, with the new messenger bag I bought for work:

I also picked up some new sheets for my bed, so I knew I had to stop spending my money. But Sarah was on the hunt for some press on nails, so we once again made our way across the parking lot to Five Below. And I didn't intend to spend anymore money, but I made another find. I always do. It's a tacky little pop-art inspired plastic ring for one dollar, but I think it looks funky fresh! What do y'all think?

No comments: