Monday, December 8, 2008

A Coupla Thoughts On "Circus"

I didn't buy it, but I wanted to! Britney Spears' sixth studio album, Circus, was released last week and is poised to hit number one on the Billboard charts. Little wonder, her comeback is really in full swing. iMeem.com has had the full disc for preview since before Thanksgiving (I listened while baking pies) which gave me a chance to sample, since I have place a moratorium on new CD purchases until after Christmas. Last year I went ahead and bought Blake Lewis's Audio Day Dream and also got a copy for Christmas. I will not repeat that mistake!

I have just a few thoughts, a full review will wait until after I get the disc and live with it for a while. "Unusual You" is my clear favorite, it reminds me of my favorite off of Blackout, "Heaven On Earth." Slow, seductive, softly electronic; the track has some killer lyrics: "Didn't anyone tell you, you're supposed to break my heart. I expect you, so why haven't you?" and a great Pet Shop Boys-style slow electronic sound. Bloodshy & Avant really did a hellava job producing this track.

I'm also loving the two first singles, "Womanizer" and "Circus" as well as the ridiculous wordplay of "If You Seek Amy" (say it fast, you'll get it...) It's seriously dancefloor friendly, although not as heavy and experimental as Blackout. It does have at least one major dud - "Mmm, Papi" is awful.

Also, tacking on "Radar" from Blackout at the end is weird, it's just a reminder that if Britney had been able to promote Blackout, that album could have been a major pop force. If Fergie and PCD could go 5 and 6 singles deep of their albums, so could Britney. She just didn't have the videos and TV appearances. Blackout is better than Circus, but Circus is still a fabulous electronic collection.

No comments: