Monday, December 15, 2008

Top 100 Songs Of 2008 - 90-81: Aussie Divas, Filthy Gay Rap and Britney, bitch!

90: Lil' Wayne feat. Static Major & Kanye West - "Lollipop [Remix]" (from The Carter III)
I hated this song at first. Then I thought the beat was pretty sweet. Then I heard the chorus layered over a Red Hot Chili Peppers sample on Girl Talk's Feed The Animals, and thought it was fucking amazing. Now I really am sick of the song, but the remix has some great lines on it. Wayne's "I got so much chips I swear they call me Hewlett Packard" and Kanye's "Man the flow so cold Chicken Soup won't help" are redic, but when Weezy rhymes "Safe sex is great sex/Better wear a latex/Cuz you don't want that late text/that 'I think I'm late' text" I could stand up and cheer.


89: Leona Lewis - "Better In Time" (from Spirit)
The British diva, and X-Factor winner, followed up her massive single "Bleeding Love" with this mid tempo tale of breaking up and getting over. The line "Even though I really loved you, I'm gonna smile 'cause I deserve too" should be emblazoned on the forehead of every heartbroken teenager... myself included. Plus the video is directed by my girl Sophie Muller!


88: Johnny Dangerous - "Take Your Man" (from White Hot)
It's filthy. And you know I love filthy! But it's also got a great beat and Johnny Dangerous has a really tight... flow. It may have replaced "Snatch The Crystal Cat Back" as the dirtiest song on my iPod. Found via Juice With Junior. Oh, and the video and song are both totally and completely NSFW!


87: Britney Spears - "Womanizer" (from Circus)
Britney's back for real this time! It's not as great as some of the stuff from last year's Blackout, but "Womanizer" is a fantastic return to pop form for the tabloid baby. And it has one of my favorite lines of the year: "You say I'm crazy? I got your crazy!"


86: The Black Kids - "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You" (from Partie Traumatic)
It's got a raucous new wave beat and a lo-fi dance sound. Plus he's found the girl that he's been dreaming of ever since he was a little girl! Why the hell would he teach her boyfriend how to dance with you? YouTube has disabled embedding on every copy of the song I could find, but the video is pretty awful anyway. Just click here for a listen.

85. Chikezie - "She's A Woman" (Live on American Idol)
Chikezie had been stuck in the "sounds like Luther, only boring" slot for the first three weeks of American Idol, while Brooke White and David Cook were proving they could take a song and change it up. So I wasn't expecting Chikezie to do anything but get voted off on Lennon/McCartney week, let alone take a Beatles song and turn it into a bluegrass/rock hybrid. He couldn't keep it up, but he had one shining moment of greatness.


84: Metro Station - "Shake It" (from Metro Station)
Miley Cyrus's big brother leads this punk-pop band with an electronic sheen. "Shake It" is basically a how to guide to seduction and copulation set to high energy rock guitars over a dance beat. Shake it, indeed.


83: Delta Goodrem - "In This Life" (From Delta)
The Aussie actress/singer is a phenom down under but here in the States, "In This Life" barely made a dent on the charts, despite heavy rotation on the VH1. It's too bad, Delta has a great voice and this piano driven pop single is good stuff.


82: Darude feat. Blake Lewis - "I Ran" (from Label This! [US Edition])
This song was made to be love by me. I love a good cover song, I love techno and I'd still bang Blake Lewis in a friggin' heartbeat! The Flock Of Seagulls hit is given a club makeover, perfect for soundtracking a sweaty bump'n'grind with any number of American Idol contestants.


81: Robyn - "Be Mine! (Ballad Mix)" (from The Rakamonie EP)
Robyn's single "Be Mine!" is heartbreakingly beautiful, but tempered with a great symphonic pop beat. It's made twice as emotional when stripped down to the bare piano, every note of the chorus rips through your soul: "And now you're gone there's like an echo in my head and I remember every word you said... that you never were, and you never will be mine."

No comments: