Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Top 100 Songs Of 2008 - 80-71: Idol Winners, Twilight Singles and It Keeps Gettin' Better!

80: Lenka - "The Show" (from Lenka)
This song has popped up in Old Navy commercials and Ugly Betty promos. It's so sweet that I wanna lick the wrapper... wait - wrong song. It's cutesy, but in a good way. And I like the lyrics of the chorus: "Life is a maze and love is a riddle"


79: Jordin Sparks Duet With Chris Brown - "No Air" (from Jordin Sparks)
First, can we discuss the way the artists are billed? I guess "Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown" sounded too much like they were a romantic item? And "Jordin Sparks feat. Chris Brown" would be insulting the new Prince Of Pop. However you like it listed, the song is ridiculously over dramatic, full of runs and histrionics and everything you want in a torch song. Seriously, "If I should die before I wake, it's cause you took my breath away" is just the first line! Perfect for lipsynching in front of the mirror, complete with Celine Chest Thumps and Mariah/Christina Hand Waves. Not that I've ever done such a thing, I'm just guessing. ;)


78: Beyonce - "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)" (from I Am... Sasha Feirce)
The video spawned a million recreations on the YouTube (and SNL), but the song itself is also pretty fabulous. It's got a beat that's crazy as hell, a Buzz Lightyear quote and important message to the menfolk. If you ain't gonna put a ring on it, you can't get mad when it dances with other dudes. And by it, I mean B's amazing badonkadonk.


77: Paramore - "Decode" (from Twilight: The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
If I thought I couldn't love a Paramore single as much as "Misery Business" well, I was right. It's more like "crushcrushcrush" level but even that is pop-punk at it's chick-rock finest. Haley's voice bounces between walls of guitars and drums in a crescendo of hormones and pain. Plus it's from the soundtrack to my vampiric wet dreams the movieTwilight.


76: Danity Kane - "Damaged" (from Welcome To The Dollhouse)
Do you got a first aid kit handy? Do you know how to patch up a wound? No, is someone dying? No, just the girls passing out from damaged heart syndrome. Good thing there is a hot beat to revive them, cause you can't park it on the dance floor. Even when you go to a "First Cut Is The Deepest" place!


75: CSS - "Music Is My Hot, Hot Sex" (from CSS)
This isn't just a song. It's the story of my life. I fucking live, breath and sleep music. It's the only sex I'm getting at the moment, but that's OK. Some days I'd rather "Get Naked (I Got A Plan)" and "Justify My Love" with an iPod play list than get "Physical" (That's a total fabrication, bee-tee-dubs.) But this song does have a sick bass line and some great lyrics.


74: Fall Out Boy - "I Don't Know" - (from Folie A Duex)
The fact that this sounds exactly like classic Fall Out Boy is both a good thing and a bad thing. I like experimentation, but "I Don't Care" sounds like "Sugar, We're Going Down" and "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race" combined. But is that a bad thing? Both of those songs are brilliant pop-punk, and "I Don't Care" is too. I like the combination of hooks, guitars and Pat'n'Pete's snarky breed of lyrical absurdities. Plus I'm pretty sure they don't care what I think, as long as it's about them.


73: Cyndi Lauper - "Into The Nighlife" (from Bring Ya To The Brink)
Gay friendly never sounded so good! Cyndi is a idol, her slow songs like "True Colors" and especially "Time After Time" are among my favorites. On her latest disc, however, she takes it to the club. And boy, does she do it right! The shimmery disco and catchy chorus makes this a perfect song to play on a gays-night-out. And those shirtless wonders do wreck my sight!


72: Santogold - "L.E.S. Artiste" (from Santogold)
Santi disses the hipsters in NYC's Lower East Side and proclaims her own fear and trembling ("I can say I hope it will be worth what I give up") over a looped guitar and handclaps. It's still pretty hipster, but now with 50% less pretension!


71: Christina Aguilera - "Keeps Gettin' Better" (from Keeps Gettin' Better: A Decade Of Hits)
Some days she's a super bitch. Some days, she's a melisma-addict with heartfelt plea for discovering beauty in us all. Some days she's throwback pop star with an Andrews Sisters obsession. Some days she's a genie in a bottle, gotta rub her the right way. Right now? She's got her sites set on "Lady Gaga Impersonator." And it keeps gettin' better!

No comments: