Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Top 100 Songs Of 2008 - 50-41: Beatboxers, Brit Rockers and Rihanna (again!)

50: Blake Lewis - "How Many Words" (from Audio Day Dream)
The Idol runner up doesn't beatbox on this electronica break up song, the second single from his very chill debut disc. American radio would never play this, which makes me hope that Europeans will pay attention to Seattle's Best.




49: Doe Deere - "One Touch" (from Supernatural)
From New York based indie-electronica artist Doe Deere comes this tribute to all sounds eighties. Breathy vocals over glittery synths and an enourmous drum loop make me just want to dance, and the fact she gave the single away for free on her MySpace makes me dance even harder. Just take a sec and listen there, it's brillaint. Found via ElectroQueer.

48: Rihanna - "Take A Bow" (From Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded)
The Stargate/Ne-Yo steamroller keeps on running over the charts. What's not to love about this kiss-off to a no-good liar, done up as a ballad with bite.




47: Shelby Lynne - "Anyone Who Had A Heart" (from Just A Little Lovin')
I didn't want to include this song on my countdown. OK, kids, it's story time: I bought the album about a month after being dumped, and my usual route home from work was held up by construction. So I was forced to drive past the movie theatre and resturant where we had our third date (the date where I let my gaurd down and fell for him) every night for about two weeks. This was the album on heavy rotation during those trips, and the old school versions of this song hurt enough without Shelby Lynne's sultry anguish and the gorgous piano jazz that backs her vocals up. Anyone who had a heart will understand the pain...




46: Pink - "So What" (from Funhouse)
OK, emo moment over! This is the return of angry Pink, taking no prisoners and kicking major ex ass over a jock-jams ready arena beat. "So what! I'm still a rock star!" If only that were true of all of us!




45: Coldplay - "Viva La Vida" (from Viva La Vida)
From the opening strings I knew this was my kind of Coldplay. Syphonic rock: so sweeping, so massive. The lyrics so poetic and fantastical. They rarely make rock music like this anymore.




44: Britney Spears - "Unusual You" (from Circus)
This song is heartbreak set to a beat. It has a great electronic sheen, sleek and sexy and Britney sounds the best she has since "Everytime." So rare that Brit does a ballad that isn't cheesy, I must applaud her for it. I know she didn't write the lyrics, but I am in love with the chorus: "Didn't anyone tell you you're supposed to break my heart, I expect you too. So why haven't you?"




43: The Ting Tings - "Shut Up And Let Me Go" (from We Started Nothing)
The bass line is on fire as the British duo release thier second single from We Started Nothing. It's a brilliant song to strut down a catwalk to, I think I may have to go do that now...




42: Christina Aguliera - "Genie 2.0" (from Keeps Getting Better: A Decade Of Hits)
Over a sleek and ultramodern electronica beat, Christina ditches the girly-pop of the original mix of "Genie In A Bottle" And why shouldn't she? That was ten years ago, back then she was a Lolita locked in a girl singer duel, now she's a sexy MILF. I gotta like what you do...




41: Colbie Caillet - "Realize" (from Coco)
"Bubbly" was the stinkiest piece of shit to come out in 2007. Trite and obnoxious, I couldn't stomach it. So how did Cobie get off my shitlist to hover just outside the Top 40? By creating a gentle acoustic ballad about the pain of unrequited love, my stock in trade. "If you just realize what I just realized, that we'd be perfect for each other..." Oh Colbie, it never works that way. They never realize. ::emo tear::


No comments: