Monday, December 15, 2008

Top Songs of 2008 - 100-91: Swedish Pop Stars, American Idol Runner-ups and Christmas Tunes!

Last year, I only allowed one song per artist on my year-end countdown. That rule is out the window. But I'm still a little strict about what a song of 2008 means. It has to have one of the following qualities:
A. From an album released in 2008, or saw a US release in 2008 after being released outside the country at an earlier time (i.e: Robyn, Hook Me Up or Frank)
B. Released as a single in 2008, including rereleases as remix, mash-up or speciality single
C. Video filmed in 2008
D. Spent a portion of it's Billboard chart life in 2008
E. Went for adds at radio in 2008
F. Performed live in 2008, if the live version is the one charting

OK, now that the anal-retentive rule maker in me is satisfied, let the countdown begin!

#100: Maroon 5 feat. Rihanna - "If I Never See Your Face Again" (from It Won't Be Soon Before Long Deluxe Edition and Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded)
I was surprised this superstar pairing stalled at #51 on the Hot 100. Despite the fact the I'm not sure who has the squeakier voice, I found Adam and Rihanna's manufactured sexual tension in the video oddly erotic. The guitars and synths add to the sex appeal and create a dance-floor friendly rock song.


#99: Mariah Carey - "Touch My Body" (from E=MC2)
The piano is a little weird, the beat is a little too snap-y but Mariah sells it as booty call-hungry diva hoping this flick don't end up YouTube. It didn't but the hilarious video, featuring 30 Rock's Jack McBrayer as a computer technician having absurdly nerdy fantasies about Mariah, did. And it gave Mimi her 18th number one!


98: Matt Nathanson - "Come On Get Higher" (from Some Mad Hope)
It's midtempo, with a gentle acoustic guitar, light drum and piano line. Nothing overpolished, which allows the lyrics like "faith and desire and the swing of your hips just pull me down low and drown me in love" to shine. Sugarland also covers the song live on the deluxe edition of their Love On The Inside.


97: Lil Mama feat. T-Pain - "What It Is (Strike A Pose)" (from The Voice Of The Young People) Seriously, nothing Lil' Mama does will ever be better than "Lip Gloss." "What It Is" comes close, T-Pain is surprisingly not obnoxious, even adding to the fun with his "strike a pose, girl" but it's when she stops the beat to repeat the complaint of "You're so mean, Lil' Mama, you're so mean!" that had me hooked. She's vicious!


96: The All American Rejects - "Gives You Hell" (from When The World Comes Down)
I love torch songs, those wounded ballads of love gone wrong. "Gives You Hell" is not one of those songs. A brash kiss off is always good, too! The chorus is kicky power-pop, but the line "When you see my face, hope it gives you hell" reminds me of the Kina song "Girl From The Gutter"


95: The Hives & Cyndi Lauper - "A Christmas Duel" (single)
I just posted this track a couple weeks ago, but I already love it! Plus, I always have a new Christmas track on my year end lists, last year it was The Killers' "Don't Shoot Me Santa Clause." It's dirty (which I love) and it's festive (which I also love.) Cyndi is in fine voice, The Hives replicate that 50s/60s Christmas rock sound perfectly. Found via Stereogum.



94: Brandy - "Right Here (Departed)" (from Human)

Remember when Brandy and Monica were squabbling over boys? And remember when she teamed with Kanye for a couple of songs? I liked those Brandys. But I love the new Brandy, too! This stunning pop single is not unlike "Umbrella," it's heavy electro-pop sound paired with emotional and heartfelt lyrics.


93: Robyn - "Robotboy" (from Robyn)
Who knew a song about a broken robot could be so powerful? With a slim beat and a couple of electronic trills as background, Robyn creates a bedtime story about a broken toy who needs a friend and steals my heart.


92: Shontelle - "T-Shirt" (from Shontelligence)
Is there anyway to get your man back with you than telling him you're home with nothing but his t-shirt on? I doubt it! Shontelle might be sick of this dress, and these Jimmy Choos (poor dear) but I'll never be sick of a hot sing-a-long chorus.


91: David Archuleta - "Crush" (from David Archuleta)
I know I ragged on this single when it first leaked, and I still think D.Arch's vocals are unnaturally raspy. Of course, I'm biased. I have an eternal hard-on for David Cook. But like it so often happens with me, the banger chorus sucked me in and I was a twelve-year-old girl just singing along at the top of my lungs. FYI: The Sonic Ether Club Mix is phenomenal. I'm posting that version, instead of the original mix.

No comments: