Friday, December 5, 2008

This Is What Happens When You Wear A Santa Hat In Public

Most of my friends know I waffle over my desire to raise kids someday. Not now, I don't have the time/money/partner required for such an endeavor. But I'm not sure if I ever want them or not. One day I see a cute kid and just want to turn into the gay Duggars and start procreating like crazy. (Only I'd adopt, so I guess that would make me the gay Angelina Jolie. But I'd be stealing a quote from Perez Hilton and nobody wants that.) The next I see a whining brat and want to get my tubes tied. But today! I have a story for y'all...

I wear a Santa hat at my Retail Place Of Empoyment. It's not required, or even encouraged. But I think it's fun, so I do. The only down side is serious hat hair. Today, I went to Sheetz to buy a drink to go with my lunch and had a descision to make. Go out with a Santa hat on, or go out with hat hair. Not just any hat hair, Santa hat hair. It's a different beast, Santa hat hair. So, I left the hat on. It's festive as hell, so why not?

So I get to the Sheetz and pick up some egg nog. (Seriously, that's what I bought! I love it's thick and nutmeggy goodness.) I was in a very long line, and outside a family van's car alarm started going off. It took some time to get turned off, and there was a little grumbling from the cashier about it. I didn't care, it's not that loud.

The family trudged in, and the mother and teenage daughter were bickering a little about why the alarm went off. With them was a littl boy, he looked about five or so. It was obvious he had Down's Syndrome. He looked up at me, and his adorable little face lit up. "Hi, Santa!" he shouted. I wasn't sure I heard right, until he repeated it. I waved back, and said "Hi!" before it was my turn to ring up and his mother took him by the hand and took him to the MTO counter.

So now I want kids again. I mean, how adorable was that?

No comments: