Wednesday, November 5, 2008

He Will Be Your President, Too...

I wrote a political column for a local magazine called The Muse for two years, and I never wanted to discuss politics again. It's so full of bitter fights fueled by greed, pride and hatred. So I turned to the exact opposite: writing a fluffy pop culture blog.

But here's the thing: I still vote every election, I try to keep informed about the government and it's doings, I'm not a total political dead weight. So I had made up my mind a long time ago that Barack Obama was the change we needed. I may have been swayed by his charisma at first, but his plans and his desire to do the right thing kept me on his side.

Last night's acceptance speech was one of the most subdued victory speech I've ever seen. He knows he has a lot of work to do, this country is in bad shape on so many levels. But I got a tiny thrill when he commented on there being no gay or straight America, because I don't know that I've ever heard my president say something so equalizing. But it was this moment (click here for sound clip) when he spoke to his opponents: "To those Americans whose support I have yet to earn, I may not have won your vote tonight, but I hear your voices. I need your help. And I will be your president, too." it brought a tear to my eye.

This country has been so divided for so long, we are so full of suspicion and hate for those on the "wrong" side of the "issues" that we forget we are all Americans. And I'm not just talking about conservatives, because I still count myself as one of you. Liberals look down on conservatives as ignorant hillbillies, conservatives dismiss liberals as anti-American and the moderates think they are more level headed than everybody else. I think we all forget that most of us truly believe we are working towards what's best for our country.

We are all Americans... and Barack Obama will be our president, too!

No comments: