Thursday, November 20, 2008

I Say I Hate Nickelback, But...

I don't really like regular, run-of-the-mill, multi-platinum-shipping rock bands. I don't really dig the rock sound, and when it's so very vanilla, unoriginal cock-rock and it gets rewarded with huge success I just want to grit my teeth.

Nobody does Walmart-ready rock like Nickelback. I shouldn't like them, they stand for everything I dislike about rock music. But I can't help it, their singles always suck me in. From their last disc I hated "Photograph" because I don't care what the hell is on Joey's head. But "Far Away" and "Saving Me" are just lovely slow rock ballads, "If Everyone Cared" might be a little trite but I can't help but appreciate the sentiment. I even like a few of their old singles, like "Someday." But I started up the hate again for "Rockstar" because it's just so ridiculous.

So I fully expected to pretend to love to hate (but secretly love) the new single from the new album Dark Horse, "Gotta Be Somebody." I expected correctly. It's a perfect tale of desire for connection, it fits so well into my current life state. That search, that longing for somebody... it's universal. I guess that's why bands like Nickelback do so well. It's not something you have to really dig deep to connect with. And that's not so bad...

No comments: