Saturday, November 29, 2008

Random Video Post: Sheila Walsh: "Fighter"

This is the most random post I've ever done on Pictures And Conversations. I just bought a Christmas gift on eBay for one of my sisters this evening. I haven't bought anything from eBay in years, I used to be quite active. I sold on consignment for a couple people back in the day, but now I just don't have the time. Anyway, I was playing around on the site, looking for some old music I've wanted for a while.

One album I'm quite interested in acquiring is called Don't Hide Your Heart by UK artist Sheila Walsh. When I was a kid, we used to have a cassette copy of this album. It was released in the US on Sparrow Records, whose cassette were an opaque blue color. We called Sheila "the blue tape lady" and I really liked some of the songs, like "Under The Gun" Her music had a new wave rock edge, far more interesting than most mainstream Christian pop of the time. Now, Sheila is known for a stint as the co-host of The 700 Club and a devotional writer, but in the 1980s she was a pioneer female rocker. Her incredible high range made her a gospel Pat Benatar, her open autobiography Honestly made her a source of inspiration for those dealing with depression.

I found two copies on vinyl on eBay, but I'm not crazy about paying twenty bucks for something I can't listen to in the car. So I checked iTunes, no luck. I Googled the album, and found some illegal mp3s via a bit torrent, but I don't feel right downloading that way. One of the out of print music sites has vinyl copies with a CD-r of the album, I may purchase one that way. But not until after Christmas, I really need to focus my cash on gifts for others, not myself.

But I really needed a Sheila Walsh fix after all that hunting! I couldn't find much of her 80s music on YouTube or iMeem, but I did find a live video of a later song called "Fighter" that is just burning within me. So I decided to share! Here, please to enjoy:

No comments: