Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Liveblogging The New David Cook CD

As you may have noticed, I have an abiding crush on American Idol winner David Cook. I ran out to buy his new CD, and I have waited to listen until I can share my thoughts as they happen while listening to David Cook for the first time.

Declaration: First off, I'm pissed there are no lyrics in the CD booklet. I hate that most pop album nowadays don't have lyric sheet anymore. I sound like an old person, don't I? But the song is great, I think this is the one he did on Saturday Night Live. His voice is hot as ever, the intro with the dueling guitars is pretty cool. I don't know what he's declaring, I guess that I've stole his soul to set him free? That's why I need lyric sheets. I must google some lyrics. Oh, I'm his inspiration! Aww, that's so sweet! This song was co-written by Goo Goo Doll Johnny Rzeznik, and it does have that modern rock sound.

Heroes: It opens kinda like that Boys Like Girls song I half like, half hate. The lyrics sound like a Christian pop/rock song, which weird cause I'm pretty sure David has said he's an athiest. "All these heroes come and go, but you're still standing" but then at the end he's all "there's a hero in us all." Oh, I see why this has such a Boys Like Girls feeling, Chris Lord-Alge mixed it, he also mixed the single version of "Hero/Heroine" Do you think David Cook is looking to get an NBC's Heroes promo out of this track?

Light On: I've already discussed this track elsewhere on the blog, but it fits well with the rest of the album so far. It's one of only three songs he didn't co-write. While I'm listening, I took a gander at the pictures in the booklet. God, he's so hot. A bunch of pics crammed on the center page, some really goofy faces. I love how he's not afraid to look silly in photos. I love everything about him...

Come Back To Me: This starts with a kind of new-wave guitar riff, but when it hits the chorus it has more of a symphonic rock sound. Very traditional Grown Up rock music.

Life On The Moon: A real interesting rocker, the lyrics are either silly or really deep. I like the eastern-sounding acoustic guitar that decorates. I can't tell if the fact that "life I knew is through and I'm gonna need you more than ever" is as strange as life on the moon is a really poetic admission of how fame will fuck you up, or if it's just a crappy metaphor.

Bar-ba-sol: OK, this is the rock star song! This needs to be a single for rock radio, it sounds like the harder stuff from Buckcherry or Hinder, but with better vocals. The guitars never let up, the drum line is hard as nails and the chorus has this ridiculous guitar vamp. I pretty much fake all of my rock'n'roll knowledge, cause I'm a pop boy, but when I talk about rock music this song is what I'm talking about. This guitar solo is sick as malaria! I've never heard an American Idol sound like this.

Mr. Sensitive: Kinda emo. I like it, it has a Fall Out Boy quality, but with a more fluid vocal. I'm not sure how I feel about it, it almost feels like the vocals don't belong with the instrumental.

Lie: The vocals are buried in the mix on this song. It could be a real symphonic rock song, like a Goo Goo Dolls song or his American Idol version of "Always Be My Baby" but the vocals need to be brought to the forefront. I'm disappointed! He has such strong vocal power, he shouldn't have to compete with the shitty production values that American Idol provides. I'll bet this song would be hot live, though. Or acoustic! I think an acoustic mix would be a major improvement.

I Did It For You: Again with the buried vocals. Chris Lord-Alge, I will hunt you down and kill you if you keep hiding my beloved Cookie's vocals under a bushel of generic rock'n'roll trappings. This song is a little meh, which makes me sad. I want every song to just reek of sex and rock and word-nerdiness. Oh, David! I know it's not your fault, you're still hot as fuck. I luh yew!

Avalanche: Still pissed at the poor mixing decisions, but this song is pretty cool. I like the idea of falling in love being compared to being buried in an avalanche. But it seems a little generic again. Oh look, the speed up drums leading to the end of the bridge! So rock star! Yeah, the second half of the disc is getting a little blah... :(

Permanent: Opens with piano. Loves it! God, his voice over just piano makes me wanna cry. Or masturbate, I'm not sure. OK, now I feel bad making dirty jokes, this song is beautiful. I think it may be about his cancer-stricken brother. "When all you know seems so far away and everything is temporary, rest your head, I’m permanent" and "Forget your promise that you'll never see me cry" are some of the lyrics that just break my heart.

A Daily AntheM: No, that's not a typo. The capital letters spell out Adam, his brother with cancer. The closeness between the two make me love David even more. He's not just hot and funny and talented, he's a really great guy too. Kimberley Caldwell better never break his heart, cause I will cut the bitch. This is the only song written just by David, no co-writers. Some of the lyrics are a little iffy like "It's a half baked blessing for the lessons I've learned." What does that even mean?

Now we have eleven minutes left on the track, and it's silence. That means one thing: bonus track. Sweet action! If it's just "The Time Of My Life" like is listed on the back of the CD case, I'll be bummed. Maybe it's a secret message from David, telling the world that he's totally gay for me. I'll bet it is. OK, I'm skipping ahead about twenty-thirty seconds at a time. Nothing so far. Three and a half minutes left. Yay! Rock guitars! Ooh, it's a scathing indictment of skanky Hollywood girls. Really, that's not a joke. David is singing something about a "kiss on the neck." I thought he said "kiss on the dick" at first, and I was turned on scandalized, but alas it was not a hoyay moment.

The Time Of My Life: Really, this could be the third least-sucky Idol coronation song. "Inside Your Heaven" was the best, cause the lack of sense it made was coupled with how dirty it sounded. "I wanna be inside your heaven, take me to the place you cry from?" Really, Carrie? That's hot/disturbing/strange. And we can't forget OG champ Kelly's "Moment Like This" which was the first time, and last time, the song pretended to be about any special moment not just winning a reality show. But "The Time Of My Life" sounds uplifting and excited about winner said reality show. "I Believe" is a close fourth, but "This Is My Now" sounds really cocky and "Do I Make You Proud" just sucks. I somehow missed ever hearing "Flying Without Wings" which is probably for the best.

Anyway, even if David Cook starts being a little boring about halfway through, there are some real standouts. More importantly, I'm still in love with David Cook, and will still birth his children someday. Not that I was ever really considering falling out of love with him, he'd have to do faithful covers of the Pussycat Dolls "When I Grow Up" and Chicago's "Saturday In The Park" for that to happen.

No comments: