Saturday, May 16, 2009

Ten Days Of Idol Insanity: The Time Jesus Took The Wheel

It's Saturday and we are halfway through Ten Days Of Idol Insanity. I'm still working on some lists, and I'm trying my hand at Idol fanfic. Sexy/disgusting, I know. But I figured this was the perfect time to share a lil' story that I've hinted at a couple times before on Pictures & Conversations. It's the tale of the time Jesus took the wheel.

In case you're a little confused as to what Jesus has to do with Idol (besides that time the top 8 sang "Shout To The Lord" on Idol Gives Back aka: most awkward performance ever) I'm talking about Idol Season 4 winner Carrie Underwood's first hit single on the country charts: "Jesus Take The Wheel." Watch below:



The lyrics of the verses are a little ham-fisted, but I actually love the chorus. I used to say "Jesus, take the wheel" whenever things got a little dicey at work or home, sort of an all-purpose prayer of resignation that I was in need of Divine intervention.

Well, this story takes place about three years ago. I had been working as key-holding manager at the Harrisburg location of my current Retail Place Of Employment (RPOE) and was apparently doing a decent job. Our York location had lost some staff and was working with just one manager, so management staff from other locations were being asked to come in for a few shifts each week to give manager a break.

Well, I was asked if I would be willing to close once a week in York, which is about 35 miles from my house. I wanted to make a good impression, as well as earn some overtime and paid mileage. However, I was not at that time an very experienced driver, I'd only been driving for a couple of years and I had avoided driving on long trips. I had never driven more than ten mile trips, let alone 35. I didn't tell anyone that, I just said I hadn't been to York before. So one of the other managers hooked me up with directions.

On the morning of my first shift in York, I left 90 minutes early. I was so sure I was gonna get lost, I wanted to give myself time to get lost and still be at the store at my scheduled time. I got on route 81 going the wrong direction, which had me jittery. I got off on an exit, turned around and head towards York.

I'd been driving for a while, gotten onto route 83 with out any trouble and was watching for the exit number that was written on the directions. I get paranoid when I'm following directions, so after a while I checked the directions again. I was wrong, I wasn't looking for an exit number, I was looking for a route number.

I start freaking out. I didn't know the exit number, so I couldn't tell if I had passed it. I can't read a map to save my life, plus I couldn't really pull over until I found an exit. I shouted like I never shouted in my life:

JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL!

Literally, within 30 seconds a sign appeared on the side of 83 stating YORK: 10 Miles. I couldn't believe it. I hadn't passed it, I was still miles away.

I know it's a little bit silly, but I do feel like Jesus took the wheel for a hot minute, and that sign was placed at such a spot so I wouldn't go completely postal. And since then, I've gained a lot more confidence in driving, I make 400 mile round trips to see my mom all the time. I even dated a guy who lived and went to college in York. And I drive 16 miles to work every day after my promotion to Assistant Manager of the biggest store in the chain. It all worked out...

So yeah, that's my story. The story of the time Jesus took the wheel on the way to York.

No comments: