Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Idol Recap: Torn Between Two Lovers

Hello Idol People! I had to go into work today, so my recap is gonna be short and sweet. Plus, if you read my live-blog last night you already know what went down.

Adam opened the show with a reprise of his best performance, the Tears For Fears song "Mad World" In keeping with his theatre goth style, his entrance was pure FIRE! Rising from behind the steps, backlit and surrounded by fog AND wearing a fly trench coat, Adam wowed us again. His original version had his sitting on a chair, surrounded by fog, and he killed it then. But the entrance was the best ever.

Kris was a little less flashy, but a whole lot more soulful with his encore of "Ain't No Sunshine" from behind the piano. It was everything beautiful, the tone of his voice when it is wracked with emotion is so amazing. And I love the way he closes his eyes while he plays, it's really moving.

For Simon Fuller's pick, Adam sang the Sam Cooke classic "A Change Is Gonna Come." I don't know why he picked that song, it's not really in Adam's wheelhouse at all. But he did a good job and was a little less crazy. Which is OK, we need a breather every now and again.

Kris was a little less interesting with Fuller's pick, "What's Going On" sounded rather like a jam band. It was serviceable and a bit forgettable but played to Kris's strength as a rootsy, crunchy granola kinda laid back guy.

Adam + The Awful Idol Single = EEK! He tried to go crazy with his voice on it, but the melody didn't support that kind of range. Plus, the song (as usual) is pure Hannah Montana cast-off shit.

Kris = The Awful Idol Single = Kinda good? I know, how did that happen? Mostly because of the fact I felt like Kris was living the song, I felt like he could fight a hurricane or whatever that shit was. He made it believable, and that's hard.

So, winner? Who knows? The judges did a soft sell on Kris, which can mean bad news for the Conway boy. But he make pick up Danny fans, which could spell doom for my golden boy, Adam. I couldn't vote, they are both so amazing. I can't wait to hear more from both of them, as well as Allison, Alexis and Matt.

No comments: