Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Idol Recap: Hot Three Way Action

I'm giggling at my own post title. This does not bode well. I think an Adam/Danny finale is no longer guaranteed, Kris really came out swinging last night. Let's see how my Final Three Future Boyfriends did last night.

Danny opened the show with Paula's pick for him, the minor Terence Trent D'Arby hit "Dance, Little Sister." Like I mentioned in yesterday's post, I had never heard the song and neither had Danny. He sang it well, he sounded very much like TTD did on that jam. I actually didn't mind the dancing this time, but his face wore a look of disinterest at the beginning. It bored me a little, but I didn't hate it as much as usual.

Kris Allen was asked to make "Apologize" his own. Kara was a total bitch about the fact he didn't change it up, she wanted him to sit on stage with a guitar and sing it. The thing is, "Apologize" is already one of the greatest pop records of the last ten years, and it's too slow to slow it down even more with an acoustic version. I think he did add a layer of emotion to it, with his vocals and the fact he played almost the whole thing with his eyes closed. And the baby grand was a nice nod to the great piano performances we saw these last two seasons.

Also performing with a baby grand, although not playing it himself, was Adam Lambert. Simon chose U2's most glorious songs, "One" for Adam to work his magic on. And the magically thing about Adam's voice is that he can use it for both showboating and glory notes, but also uses his range and falsetto to really display an emotion. I think it may go back to his theatre roots, but he really knows how to combine stage presence and vocals to connect with the audience. He's a diva, but he has a heart.

After wasting time with a Carrie-goes-to-Africa segment, which should have been saved for the results show, we get back to the music. The contestants each chose a song themselves, starting back with Danny.

I can't believe I'm writing this. I actually thought Danny's "You Are So Beautiful" was really pretty, really sweet and really underplayed. He didn't try to glory note it too much, and he avoid the obvious sentimentality for the most part. If his back story hadn't sat so uneasily with me, I probably could have loved this. But knowing this song was all about his late wife, I couldn't. And I hate myself for it. I should have empathy, he lost the woman he loved. But going on a reality show a couple of weeks later just smacks of opportunism. Ugh, why you gotta make it so hard for me to hate or love you?

Here it is. The moment I realized that I couldn't predict the final two. Kris Allen tells Ryan that his pick was easy, he was doing "Heartless" by Kanye West. WHAT THE FUCK? I was certain it would either be awesomeness (like Nathaniel's "Disturbia" during Hollywood week, or Marie Digby's "Umbrella") or a train wreck. It was the complete opposite of derailed locomotives, and completely opposite of what Danny and Adam would do in the second half of the show. It was fresh, opening with an A Capella vocal and leading to a completely acoustic guitar mix. He looked so angry, so connected to the song. A lot of guitar playing teens put acoustic covers on YouTube, that part isn't that special. But to actually sell the song, make it sound like an angry blues song? That takes charisma. And for the first time, I think all three are in danger of going home tonight.

Adam, please tell me you are going to bring it, give the people a reason to keep picking up the phone and voting. OK, Areosmith. As the only Idol contestant who I would trust with Steven Tyler & Co.'s back catalog, do not disappoint me. "Cryin'" is a good choice, and you are going to do it as written? No crazy arrangements, no over the top theatrics? OK, let's see... Damn, you sang it straight and still rocked the house. I have to say, Adam, you are in a class with Steven Tyler and Axl Rose, very few men have the same level of charisma AND vocal range. You so rock.

So, who are the final two? All three dudes gave compelling reasons to vote for them, even Danny didn't suck this week. BUT NEVER FORGET "DREAM ON" PEOPLE! PUT THE GO IN GOKEY! VOTE GLAMBERT! Sorry, but a Kris/Danny finale is something I will not stand for. I voted a zillion times for the Glam One, and threw a couple in for Kris. PUT THE GO IN GOKEY!

No comments: